Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Monday, April 21, 2008

yum in Linux , pkg-get in Solaris

I am using fedora 7 and solaris express developer edition (9/07) in my multiboot system. 'yum' is always my favorite for updating my linux system and softawre installations.

[Check out other ways of software installation and new IPS feature of OpenSolaris 2008.05!!]

Blastwave offers similar kind of help to solaris users. A simple 'pkg-get -i xxxxxx' command will install your required softwares in your system without creating any problem. You need to simply install 'pkg-get' and 'wget' in your system to use this. what I did ,

# pkgadd -d http://www.blastwave.org/pkg_get.pkg

# /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i wget

If you use yum , sometime you must use '-y' option to avoid annoying user interaction. Similarly , you can execute the following command in solaris :

#cp -p /var/pkg-get/admin-fullauto /var/pkg-get/admin

Now , if you want to install xxxxxx in your system , you need to simply execute

#/opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i xxxxxx

If you want a list of available packages , click here.

For step by step installation instructions , click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment