Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Real Player 11 on Ubuntu 8.10 : Audio not working


Recently I have installed Real Player 11 on my ubuntu box , V 8.10 . I am using a Dell Precision M4400 laptop. 
 [ Note : I've download the DEB Package from   http://www.realplayer.com/linux
 and opened with  GDebi Package Manager .]
The player was working fine, but there was no sound. I tried with different formats, but there was no luck !
After googling a bit, I came to know about medibuntu. Medibuntu's repository can be added using the following command :
sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
[ Note : Be sure your package manager is not opened, otherwise you will get  an error message like : Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable) Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process  using it? ]   Then I opened Synaptic Package Manager and searched for alsa-firmware . I installed following packages and automatically determined dependencies - alsa-firmware loaders, dell-dup, firmware-tools, libertas-firmware and linux-firmware .   [Note : All above mentioned packages are not required to get audio on realplayer]    As far as I can remember, system restart was required for this updatatiion, and after a reboot, my real player started working as intended. [ Ref : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu ]


No comments:

Post a Comment